Many people migrate to the US for work. The multicultural nation has job opportunities in every sector and is an attractive destination for people looking to work abroad. However, it can be difficult to find employment in the United States if you do not follow the specific job application requirements.
The four pillars of the US job application are the resume, the job interview, the immigration documentation, and the cover letter.
In this section we are going to discuss the US cover letter.
We will provide useful tips and tricks, as well as present you with a free download of the US cover letter to use as a guide when writing your own. Writing an effective cover letter is crucial to finding a job in the States and achieving that American Dream!
How to Write a US Cover Letter
- Research. Learn what you can about the company and job position that you’re applying to. Then adapt your cover letter accordingly to show the employer that you have the right skills for the job with their organisation.
- Don’t repeat the content of your resume. Use your letter as an opportunity to offer a personal introduction and make a good first impression. Most employers read the cover letter first, so catch their attention by describing your various skills and why you are specifically interested in their company.
- Directly address the recipient if possible. If you know the identity of the recipient then open your US cover letter with this. If not then write, ‘Dear Sir or Madam’.
- Include your address, the employer’s address and the date. Remember to include these three important sections at the beginning of your cover letter.
- Adapt your letter to the job position and company. Make sure the skills and experience you highlight in your cover letter correlate directly to the job that you’re applying for.
- Clear and concise cover letter. Use a font that’s easy to read, like 12-point Times New Roman or Arial. Don’t go over one A4 page.
- Use a professional tone. Be sure to use professional and respectful language when writing your cover letter.
- Keep it simple.
- Keep it short.
- Read it over.
US Cover Letter Template
To write a successful cover letter, it is extremely useful to use a recognised template. Head over to our US Cover Letter Template page to download a free US cover letter sample and read more advice about writing an effective US job application.
Back to the United States