The cover letter is an essential step of the job application process to find work in the United States. Therefore you should be suitably prepared before you sit down at your desk to write one. To ensure that you know how to write an effective cover letter, it is advisable to read our US cover letter tips and download a free cover letter template on this page.
Opening of the US cover letter
You should open the US cover letter with your full name, address, email and subject of the cover letter. The subject of the cover letter is generally the title of the job position to which you are applying. You must also formally address the prospective employer – do this through stating their surname if you know their identity (e.g. Dear Mr. Johnson) or use a general greeting (e.g. Dear Sir or Madam).
Main section of the US cover letter
In the main section of the cover letter, make sure to answer the following questions:
- Why are you writing to this US company?
- What do you know about this company and specific job role?
- Why do you want to work at that particular company?
- Why should the company hire you?
Ending the US cover letter
- Close with a one or two sentence paragraph thanking the reader for his or her time and consideration.
- Sign off with your full name.
Download a US cover letter template
Click on the button below to download a free example of a US cover letter.
Back to the US cover letter