There are several things you should consider before accepting a job offer. These factors can be divided into two sections; what to ask yourself before accepting an offer and what the company’s reputation is online.
Questions to ask yourself before accepting a job offer
Firstly, you should ask yourself a series of simple and perhaps obvious questions about the job offer. By answering these questions you will immediately have a clearer idea of whether accepting a job with this organisation is the right move for you.
- How much will you be getting paid?
- Is there any additional benefits or bonuses?
- What is the weekly timetable?/how many hours will I work?
- Where is the company located?/how many hours will I have to travel per day?
- What is the company culture?/Will I fit in with my new work colleagues?
- Will my personal circumstances affect working at my new job?
Research the company online
Next, you should spend some time researching the buzz about a company online. Through this you can discover how the company is viewed publicly and by employees past and present. This step will be a great help to prevent you from making the wrong employment decision.
- Google Instant: this is the suggestions that Google gives you when you start typing something into the search bar. By starting to type something about a company, you can find out the ideas that they are associated with and whether their values align with your own. For example, if you type in the company name followed by ‘supports’, then you can find out company ideologies.
- Glassdoor: this is a website in which employees and job seekers anonymously comment on companies. You can read advice about the working environments, salaries, interview questions and more about a potential employer.
- Limit your Google search: you can limit your Google search to a specific time frame. For example, you could search for the new products that a company has released in the past year. As a result, you can discover the recent activity of a business.
- Social networks: use the search function on social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter to see what is being said by people online about particular companies.
Back to Job Search