Work Abroad

Work and Travel in Australia Temporarily

Work and Travel in Australia Temporarily 7 February, 2014Leave a comment

If you want to work and travel in Australia temporarily, the Working Holiday Australia Visa is a great option.

The working holiday visa program allows people to earn an income whilst in Australia. Whether you’re a gap year student, backpacker or on a career break, this visa gives you the chance to supplement your travel funds during your time down under. Moreover, it’s an opportunity to gain new skills, travel and experience life in Australia. You can immerse yourself in the culture, meet locals and form friendships.

Furthermore, with respect to your career, the ability to gain new skills by working in Australia can enhance any CV.

Working holiday visa Australia

Working Holiday Australia Visa Requirements

You must comply with several requirements in order to hold a working holiday visa:

  • Age limit: you must be between 18-31 at the time of your visa application.
  • You must apply for the visa before entering Australia.
  • You should apply within 12 months before travelling to Australia.
  • You must hold a valid passport for the country or region participating in the working holiday schemes (see below).
  • Enter Australia within 3 months of your visa’s grant date.
  • You can work and travel Australia for up to 12 months.
  • You must undertake temporary employment whilst in Australia.
  • Cost: the price of the visa is $365.

Who Can Get a Working Holiday Australia Visa?

Citizens from certain countries are eligible for a working holiday visa to work and travel legally in Australia. Consult the eligibility list on the Australian immigration website to see whether or not you can apply for a working holiday visa.

You can also re-apply for a second year of working and travelling in Australia by downloading the re-application visa form.

Moving to Australia Tips

Deciding to move to Australia is the easy part. Now you’ve got to organize things.

  • Get a Tax File Number (TFN) – before you start working in Australia, you need to get a tax file number. You can only complete this application once you are in Australia.
  • Find out the type of tax you need to pay– if you are working in Australia you need to determine whether you are an Australian resident for tax purposes. Non-residents pay tax differently from residents.

Find a Place to Stay in Australia

Finding a good hostel, flat, hotel or other accommodation is crucial whilst working in Australia.

If you want to stay in a hostel, use these sites to search: Hostel Bookers and Hostelworld.

If you are looking for a flat or house, use Gumtree or Flatmate Finder

Find Work in Australia

If you’re looking for work in Australia, consult our Jobs in Australia page to read about the best job search resources down under.

Getting to Australia

There are several websites to start searching for cheap flights to Australia. The best are Skyscanner and Kayak.

For detailed information on all the airports in Australia see the Australian Airports Guide.

Back to Work in Australia