Work Abroad

The UK immigration system

The UK immigration system 26 November, 2013Leave a comment

You have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom if you are from a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. This also applies to those with Indefinite Leave to Remain (permanent residence document), those in the UK as the spouse/partner of an EU citizen, and Commonwealth citizens with Ancestry visas.

Read more about the specific documentation required to enter Great Britain on our UK visa information page.

If you are a non-European migrant looking to work in the UK , it is essential to understand the immigration system.

The immigration system in the UK

The UK points-based immigration system is a set of rules that clearly sets the boundaries for immigrants coming to live and work in the UK. The immigration system operates based on a four tier system of tier 1, 2, 4, and 5. Tier 3, which was originally designed for low-skilled immigrant workers, was never put into practice. The system is controlled by the UK Border Agency.

Tier 1: entrepreneurs, investors, and exceptional talent workers. The three type of immigrants in this tier must be experienced professionals willing to invest a significant amount of money into the UK. The visa’s granted to these type of workers is for 3 years.

Tier 2: covers skilled workers with a job offer from a UK business.

Tier 4: is for students who require a visa to work in the UK.

Tier 5: covers temporary workers, particularly youth working during holidays.

For more information and to fill out online applications to immigrate to the UK, visit the UK Border Agency website.

Back to Work in the UK