To participate in the Green Card Lottery you must submit the registration form online. It is a relatively quick process that doesn’t require much preparation.
To register in the draw for permanent residency in the United States you should submit an application on the Diversity Visa Program website that is controlled by the US Department of State and USICS (US Immigration & Citizenship Services).
Once you have filled out all the necessary information and you submit the application, a confirmation number will appear on the screen. You should save this number so that in May of the following year, when the results of the lottery are published, you can see whether or not you have been successful.
Necessary information to participate in the green card lottery
To participate in the US visa lottery, you must fill out the following information on the application form:
- Full name: Surname, first and second name, as it appears on your passport.
- Date of Birth: day, month and year.
- Sex: male or female.
- Place of Birth
- Country of birth
- The country from which you wish to be selected or from which you are a citizen if it is not your country of birth.
- Photograph: The photograph should comply with a series of size and composition requirements. The photo must measure exactly 2 inches by 2 inches, be printed on thin photo-quality paper, be in colour, be no older than 6 months and depict a clear, front full, full face of a person with no accessories.
- Postal address: if you are selected ,this is the address to which you will be sent a series of documents during the green card process.
- Current country of residence: This is important because depending on your country of residence you will have to go to one place or another during the application process (the US embassy or consulate of the country in which you reside).
- Phone number (optional): don’t forget to include the country code.
- Email: Use your main email address because the follow-up communication by the US Department of State will be sent to this address. This is very important because they will send you all the details about your personal interview to get the green card.
- High level of studies: primary school, secondary school, professional experience, graduate, postgraduate or doctorate courses.
- Current civil state: State whether you are single, married, divorced, widowed or legally separated. If you intend to marry or divorce before the end of the green card lottery process, you should state your current civil state at the time of filling out the application.
- Number of children: You must state how many children under 21 years of age that you have, independent of whether they live with you or not. State their names and include a current photograph.
If you comply with all of this advice then you will vastly increase your chances of getting a green card.