The cover letter is a formal document that accompanies your Australian resume. A carefully written cover letter is crucial to making a good first impression on your prospective employer in Australia. The letter is necessary so that you can introduce yourself to potential employers, show that you are fully informed of what the job role entails and convince them that you’re the right person to work in their organisation.
Therefore, it is imperative that you write an effective cover letter.
Consult our advice below to find out how to write a good Australian cover letter and to download a free cover letter template.
Tips for a good Australian cover letter
- Adapt your skills and experience to the particular job position and company that you’re applying to. Don’t include information that might be good in a general sense but, with regards to the particular job role, is irrelevant. The more tailored your cover letter is to the specific organisation and job position, the better your chances are for being called back to a job interview in Australia.
- Keep the cover letter brief – less than one A4 page.
- If there is a clear job description that outlines selection criteria, then you should make sure to relate your skills and experience to this criteria. Australian recruiting managers are looking to tick off key points that they’ve included in the job description when reading a candidate’s cover letter.
- Make sure to include your name, address, email, contact number, the company name, address and the specific person you are applying to all at the top of the Australian cover letter.
- To address the prospective employer use ‘Dear Mr/Ms…‘ followed by the recipient’s surname if you know their identity. If not then write ‘Dear Sir or Madam’.
- Beneath the personal information, write a subject heading outlining the job you are applying for, followed by the body/content.
- Send your Australian cover letter in Word format.
- Finally, ensure that there are absolutely no spelling and grammar mistakes.
For more advice on the Australian cover letter consult our general cover letter section.
Download free Australian cover letter template
Click on the button below to download a free Australian cover letter example to be used as inspiration for your own.Download Template
Back to job application in Australia