Job interview questions
To successfully overcome a job interview, you must prepare for the types of job interview questions you will be asked. If you are able to answer each question capably, employment will not be far away. There are generally 5 competency-based areas that a job interview will be split into; for each of these sections you may be asked one or two questions.
Types of Job Interview Questions
1: Communication Interview Questions.
The communication questions in a job interview will require you to recall times when you have effectively shared information. You want to present yourself as a confident public speaker who can operate as an integral cog when working with a team. Think of several examples when you have had to communicate through a presentation, in a debate, or something similar. Through this you will be prepared for the types of communication interview questions, such as the examples below.
Example Communication Job Interview Questions:
- Tell me about a time you delivered a presentation.
- Have you ever worked as part of a team?
- How would you communicate differently between your friends and work colleagues?
- How do you normally contribute when working in a team?
2: Planning & Organizing Interview Questions.
Planning and organizing questions in a job interview tend to focus on how you have completed a specific goal. You must think of ways in which you have carried out a particular event – the planning and organizing structure behind completing the task. Interviewers will be looking out for a detailed routine that directly helped you achieve your goal. It does not have to be an intellectual achievement. One can discuss their training routine prior to a marathon, or their map route before travelling the globe. The last tip for planning & organizing interview questions is that it is best if you explain something that you successfully achieved as a clear result of your comprehensive planning!
Example Planning & Organizing Job Interview Questions:
- Have you ever achieved a significant goal as a direct result of personal planning?
- Outside of work and education, have you organised any specific event?
- Has planning ever helped you in your educational career?
- In what way will you use planning if you get a job with us?
3: Problem Solving Interview Questions.
Problem solving interview questions are about moments in which you have successfully resolved an issue. Think about times in which you have had to overcome a problematic situation. Interviewers want to see candidates that are able to step in, control, and successfully eradicate problems that arrive at school, work, or in your personal life.
Example Job Interview Questions:
- Tell me about an issue you have overcome at work in the past year.
- Have you ever had to resolve a problem between two friends?
- Have you had to deal with a time when a deadline has changed?
- What is the best way to deal with a problem in the workplace?
4: Achievement Interview Questions.
Achievement job interview questions focus on goals successfully completed. You are given license to really boast about previous achievements and you should not hold back. Examples of achievements include academic achievements, running marathons, writing for a student newspaper, or playing a musical instrument. Interviewers want to hear a diverse array of achievements.
Example Achievement Job Interview Questions:
- What do you view as your greatest achievement?
- Outside of work and education, what is your biggest achievement?
- What is your greatest academic achievement?
- Have you ever failed to achieve anything?
5: Weaknesses Interview Questions
Interviewers will ask about any weaknesses you have. The aim of this is to know the opinion you have of yourself and to find out more about your capacity for sincerity and self-criticism. It is one the most common points where people slip up in a job interview. Therefore it is best to be prepared. Read our section on job interview weaknesses to find out more.
6: Career Motivation Interview Questions.
Career Motivation Interview Questions show the interviewer why you want the job to which you are applying and what knowledge do you have of the overall company. It is the most important section of job interview questions. Intensively research the company background, and focus on anything that stands out as personal to you; interviewers will be interested to hear how their company appeals personally to each candidate, as opposed to hearing a recital of their wikipedia page!
Example Achievement Job Interview Questions:
- Why do you want to work for us?
- What do you know about this job sector?
- Why do you want to be a …….?
- What can you bring to our company?
If you still want to practice more job interview questions read our list of typical interview questions.