The Canadian cover letter is an essential step of the job application process in Canada. Therefore you should be suitably prepared to write one before you sit down at your computer desk. To ensure that you know what to write and how to structure the cover letter, it is advisable to read our Canadian cover letter structure tips and then download a free cover letter template below.
How to structure a Canadian cover letter
Opening of the Canadian cover letter
In Canada, you should open the cover letter with your full name, address, email and subject of the cover letter. The subject of the cover letter is generally the title of the job position to which you are applying. You must also formally address the prospective employer – do this through stating their surname if you know their identity (e.g. Dear Mr. Johnson) or use a general greeting (e.g. Dear Sir or Madam).
Paragraph 1: Why are you writing to this Canadian company?
- Identify the job position you are applying for.
- Indicate that you have attached your Canadian resume to the letter.
- Tell the employer how your skills and experience would be a good fit for the position.
Paragraph 2: Why should the company hire you?
- Develop your qualifications for the job position including required skills, education, experience, certifications and memberships
- Focus on your relevant qualifications and provide one or two examples.
- Include any achievements such as awards/promotions/evaluations that are relevant to the job position.
Paragraph 3: Why do you want to work at that particular company?
- Refer to research you have done on the company and how it relates to your interests and experiences.
- Illustrate your knowledge about the employer and why you are interested in this company.
Paragraph 4: Ending the Canadian cover letter
- Close with a one or two sentence paragraph thanking the reader for his or her time and consideration.
- Sign off with your full name.
Download a free Canadian cover letter template
Click on the button below to download a free example of a Canadian cover letter.Download Template
Back to the Canadian cover letter